• facebook
  • twitter


Providing information, training, and resources on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and 

Serving Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada & the Pacific Basin (Region 9)

Need ADA Assistance? 1-800-949-4232 (Voice/TTY) or Email Us


The Pacific ADA Center provides written materials on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on a variety of subjects. Please note that some of the materials links will take you to another website.

Click on the topic category for an expanded list of resources available. Click the link a second time to collapse the list.

  • Oat cake tootsie roll

    • Donut pastry

    • Carrot cake

      • Donut pastry
    • Tootsie roll marshmallow

Accessible Parking

Below are state contacts for disabled parking placard information and application forms.
Local authorities write and enforce their own parking regulations, including accessible parking regulations. On street parking is generally free, but is subject to local authority restrictions.

Private business accessible parking is subject to the private business’ regulations. In general, you may not park in a private business accessible parking space if you are not using the services of that business.

Parking spaces and accessible parking spaces in residential housing parking lots are considered private property. The property owner/landlord/HOA establish and enforce their own regulations.

Some states honor parking placards from other states, but this is not true everywhere. Check with the motor vehicle authority of the state that you will be traveling to and inquire as to whether they will accept your parking placard while visiting. You may have to apply for a temporary visitor disabled placard in some states.


Disability Plates and Placards in Arizona
Application for Disability Plates and Placards in Arizona

Disability Plates and Placards in California

Application for Disability Plates and Placards in California

Disability Plates and Placards in Hawaii

Application for Disability Plates and Placards in Hawaii

Disability Plates and Placards in Nevada

Application for Disability Plates and Placards in Nevada

Back to the Top


  • Education


    For information or to file a complaint regarding a public K-12 or a public higher education institution, contact the U.S. Office of Civil Rights (OCR) as listed below. 

    For information or to file a complaint regarding a private K-12 or a private higher education institution that does not receive federal funding, contact the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) at 800-514-0301 or go on line to ada.gov/complaint.  Private schools that receive federal funding are covered under OCR.

    Religious educational institutions are exempt from the ADA. If the institution receives federal funding, it is covered by other disability laws and therefore you can file a complaint with OCR as noted below. 


    Office for Civil Rights (OCR), Department of Education
    OCR’s mission is to ensure equal access to education and to promote educational excellence through vigorous enforcement of civil rights in our nation’s schools.

    For assistance related to civil rights, you may contact the OCR headquarters office in Washington D.C. or the OCR enforcement office serving your state or territory. Contact the enforcement offices if you wish to file a complaint (or use our online complaint form) or if you need technical assistance on a problem or assistance to prevent civil rights problems. Contact the OCR headquarters office if you have a question on national policy, to make a Freedom of Information request for information that is national in scope, or to request publications or other assistance that is not available online.

    National Office:
    Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education

    Washington, DC 
    Telephone: 800-421-3481
    Email: OCR@ed.gov

    OCR office for Arizona
    Denver Office, Denver, CO 
    Telephone: 303-844-5695
    Email: OCR.Denver@ed.gov

    OCR office for California
    San Francisco Office, San Francisco, CA 
    Telephone: 415-486-5555
    Email: ocr.sanfrancisco@ed.gov

    OCR office for Nevada, Hawaii and The Pacific Basin
    Seattle Office, Seattle, WA 
    Telephone: 206-607-1600
    Email: OCR.Seattle@ed.gov


    Center for Parent Information and Resources
    Families with a child who has a disability often need information about the disability of their child, about early intervention (for babies and toddlers), school services (for school-aged children), therapy, local policies, transportation, and much more. Every state has at least one Parent Training and Information Center (PTI) to offer families just this kind of information. Many states also have a Community Parent Resource Center (CPRC), which offers the same type of support and training to parents of children with disabilities.   You can access the contact information for the PTIs and CPRCs serving families in your state at the following link: http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center/.


    Back to the Top


  • State Building Codes and Compliance Inspection Assistance

    The 2010 Standards for accessible design set minimum requirements – both scoping and technical - for newly designed and constructed or altered Title II and Title III entities to be readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities. Some states have adopted additional requirements and/or resources to allow for increased accessibility for individuals with disabilities. That information for states in region 9  is listed below:


    Arizona follows the International Building Code (IBC) and The Amerian National Standards Institute (ANSI)  for accessibility requirements. Individual jurisdictions may have their own requirements. Building codes are adopted locally.


    2016 California Access Compliance Advisory Reference Manual: California Building Code (CBC) Chapter 11B - Division of the State Architect 
    Accessibility requirements in Chapter 11B apply to public buildings, public accommodations, commercial buildings and public housing.

    California Building Code Chapter 11A  2016 - Division of the State Architect
    Chapter 11A covers the design and construction of covered multi-family housing.

    California Capital Access Program (CalCAP) for Small Businesses
    Designed to assist small businesses with financing the costs to alter or retrofit existing facilities to comply with the requirements of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

    Certified Access Specialist Institute (CASI)
    Resources for California building owner/managers, architects/contractors, and building officials

    Division of the State Architect (DSA)
    The Division of the State Architect provides design and construction oversight for K–12 schools, community colleges, and various other state-owned and leased facilities. The division also develops accessibility, structural safety, and historical building codes and standards utilized in various public and private buildings throughout the state of California.

    Electric Vehicle Charging Station Accessibility - Division of the State Architect
    The Division of the State Architect (DSA) developed accessibility standards for electric vehicle charging stations in order to ensure accessibility to electric vehicle charging stations by individuals with disabilities, and to provide guidance to station developers, building owners, and local building departments.

    The California Building Standards Commission adopted the accessibility standards for electric vehicle charging stations as part of the 2016 California Building Code (California Code of Regulations, Title 24), which became effective on January 1, 2017.

    Voluntary Certified Access Specialist (CASp) Program
    A CASp Is a professional who has passed an examination and has been certified by the State of California to have specialized knowledge of the applicability of state and federal construction-related accessibility standards. A CASp will know which standards will apply to your property based on the age of your facility and its history of improvements. While a licensed design professional such as an architect or engineer can provide you with an access compliance evaluation of your facility, only a CASp can provide services that offer you "qualified defendant" status in a construction-related accessibility lawsuit. 


    Hawaii follows the International Building Code (IBC). Check with the building department of individual counties (islands) regarding local adoption of the building code. 


    Nevada follows The American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Local jurisdictions could have other restrictions. Please consult your local building department.  

    Back to the Top