- The U.S. Attorney’s Office of the District of Connecticut reached a settlement agreement with American Cruise Lines. The cruise line was not following the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Some people complained that the cruise ships weren’t easy for wheelchair users to get around or access. The settlement will lead to improvements.
- The deal covers all 17 ships. American Cruise Lines has to come up with a plan to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. The plan needs approval from the U.S. before they start making changes.
- The cruise company needs to make sure they are doing what the ADA says. The plan includes things like choosing someone to check that they are doing things right. Also, they have to create an accessible website that is easy for everyone to use. And they must make it better for people in wheelchairs to get on and off the ships.
- American Cruise Lines chose to work with the U.S. Attorney’s Office to fix the issues without going to court.
- The U.S. Attorney said it’s important for businesses to serve everyone, including those with disabilities.
Read the press release