- The Justice Department sent to the Federal Register a notice of proposed rulemaking under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) that aims to make it easier for people with disabilities to use medical diagnostic equipment (MDE).
- MDEs include things like medical examination tables, scales, dental chairs, x-ray machines, and mammography equipment.
- They want to have clear standards for hospitals and clinics on how to make equipment accessible.
- Accessible equipment is important so that people with disabilities can get proper medical care.
- Some healthcare providers aren’t providing basic care because the equipment isn’t accessible.
- The proposed rule will be online for public review. People can share their thoughts on it for 30 days: www.regulations.gov.
Read the Department of Justice press release