• facebook
  • twitter

Serving Region 9 - Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada & the Pacific Basin

Need ADA Assistance? 1-800-949-4232 (Voice/TTY) Email Us

Contacts for Federal Resources

The Federal Agencies listed on this page are provided as additional reference and resource material for your benefit. These agencies provide guidance and answers to a variety of issues.

  • ADA Title I Complaint Information - Title I of the ADA covers employment and is enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). If you feel you have been discriminated against at work, you can file a complaint with the EEOC using this link.
  • ADA Title II and III Complaint Information - Titles II and III of the ADA are enforced by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). If you feel you have been discriminated against by a state or local government entity or a public accommodation, you can file a complaint with the DOJ using this link.
  • Air Carrier Access Act (DOT) - The U.S. Department of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division receives informal complaints from members of the public regarding aviation consumer issues; verifies compliance with the Department of Transportation's (DOT) aviation consumer protection requirements; provides guidance to the industry and members of the public on consumer protection matters; and makes available to the public information on pertinent consumer matters. To resolve issues on the spot as they occur or in advance of travel, call the DOT's hotline at 1-800-778-4838 (voice) or 1-800-455-9880 (TTY) from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM Eastern time. To have a complaint investigated by DOT, submit complaints by e-mail to Http:/ www.dot.gov/airconsumer or by mail to: Aviation Consumer Protection Division, U.S. Department of Transportation, 400 7th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20590.
  • Fair Housing Accessibility First (HUD) - Fair Housing Accessibility FIRST is an initiative designed to promote compliance with the Fair Housing Act design and construction requirements. The program offers comprehensive and detailed instruction programs, useful online web resources, and a toll-free information line for technical guidance and support.
  • Federal Communications Commission Disability Rights Office (FCC) - The FCC's Disability Rights Office addresses disability-related matters, including access to telecommunications services and equipment; hearing aid compatibility; access to advanced communications services and equipment; access to Internet browsers built into mobile phones; telecommunications relay services; the National Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program; accessible video programming and video programming apparatus.
  • National Council on Disability (NCD) - The National Council on Disability is an independent federal agency making recommendations to the President and Congress on issues affecting 54 million Americans with disabilities.
  • Office of Disability Employment Policy (DOL) - Under the U.S. Department of Labor, the Office of Disability Policy provides national leadership by developing and influencing disability-related employment policies as well as practices that affect the employment of people with disabilities.
  • Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (DOL) - The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs is responsible for ensuring that employers doing business with the Federal Government comply with discrimination laws and regulations. OFCCP is part of the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment Standards Administration.
  • TSA Cares - Transportation Security Administration - U.S. Department of Homeland Security - TSA Cares is a helpline for airline travelers with disabilities and medical conditions.
  • U.S. Access Board (Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board) - The U.S. Access Board is the designated federal agency responsible for setting accessibility standards under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Architectural Barriers Act and Rehabilitation Act. In addition to their responsibilities to develop accessible guidelines, they are also given authority to enforce the Architectural Barriers Act. Visit their site for updates on rule-making and technical assistance publications.
  • U.S. Access Board (Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board) - How To File A Complaint - Complaints under the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) can be filed using any of the following methods: On line, email, fax or mail. Use this link for more information.
  • U.S. Department of Education (DOE) - The U.S. Department of Education sets the standards and enforces the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in education. In addition, DOE funds education and vocational rehabilitation services for children with disabilities.
  • U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) - The Department of Health and Human Services, through the Office for Civil Rights, handles Section 504 and ADA Title II complaints for health and welfare programs, activities and services.
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - Is the federal agency designated to enforce the Fair Housing Act. Visit the HUD website for information specific to rights of people with disabilities in residential dwellings. You may file a housing discrimination complaint at the following website: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint.
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Local Offices (HUD) - HUD is organized in 10 Regions. The Regional Administrator oversees the Regional Office and Field Offices of the region. Staff who answer the main office telephone will be able to respond to or direct your calls to the appropriate person.
  • U.S. Department of Justice ADA Homepage (DOJ) - The U.S. Department of Justice enforces Title II (public services provided by state and local government) and Title III (public accommodations) of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Link to technical assistance publications, status reports, and recent settlement agreements. Information on filing an ADA-related complaint is also available.
  • U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) - The U.S. Department of Labor is responsible for administering and enforcing the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Additionally, DOL’s Employment and Training Administration (DOLETA) manages and implements the DisAbility Online program and community of practice website. DOLETA develops and implements workforce disability policy and program initiatives to address structural, programmatic and systematic employment barriers for people with disabilities through the Office of Disability Policy (ODEP).
  • U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Field Offices - Office of Labor Management Services (OLMS) field office contact numbers for federal contractors.
  • U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) - The U.S. Department of the Interior's Office of Civil Rights handles ADA Title II and Section 504 complaints for federal parks and recreation programs, activities and services.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) - The U.S. Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the U.S. Access Board, develops standards for transportation vehicles, including over-the-road buses, under the ADA. The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) is an agency within the DOT. If you believe you have been discriminated against by a public transit provider, you may file an administrative complaint with the FTA Office of Civil Rights by using the following link: https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-and-guidance/civil-rights-ada/file-complaint-fta
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Complaint Processing - The Office of Resolution Management (ORM) is responsible for providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) complaint processing services within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The complaint process includes confidential counseling, mediation, and investigation.
  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) - The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission enforces Title I (employment) of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Visit the EEOC website for information regarding employment rights and employer responsibilities under the ADA. Visit the EEOC's Public Portal at https://publicportal.eeoc.gov for general inquiries, making appointments and submitting complaints.
  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) - Field Office Locator - Find your EEOC field office by zip code.
  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) - Information for Federal Employees - If you believe that you have been discriminated against by a federal agency, the first step is to contact an EEO Counselor at the agency within 45 days of the discriminatory action. Click on the above link for additional information.
  • U.S. Small Business Administration - Veteran Owned Businesses (SBA) - The U.S. Small Business Administration offers programs and services to veterans and service-disabled veterans to help them start their own business and find government contracting opportunities.
  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) - Information for people with disabilities interested in starting their own businesses.
  • U.S. Social Security Administration - Office Locator (SSA) - Find your Social Security Office by zip code.
  • U.S. Social Security Administration - Social Security Disability Insurance: SSDI (SSA) - Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
  • U.S. Social Security Administration - Supplemental Security Income: SSI (SSA) - Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes). It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and it provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.