• facebook
  • twitter


Providing information, training, and resources on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and 

Serving Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada & the Pacific Basin (Region 9)

Need ADA Assistance? 1-800-949-4232 (Voice/TTY) or Email Us

State and Local Information

The Pacific ADA Center provides written materials on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on a variety of subjects. Please note that some of the materials links will take you to another website.


The 211 dialing code is reserved for community information and referral services. The Helpline Center  can be reached by dialing 211 or by going to  211.org.  The center provides callers with information about and referrals to social services for every day needs and in times of crisis. 2-1-1 can offer access to the following types of services:

Basic Human Needs Resources
Disaster Response and Recovery
Mental Health and Health Resources
Employment Supports
Older Adults and Persons with Disabilities
Children, Youth and Family Support
Volunteer Opportunities and Donations

Click on the topic category for an expanded list of resources available. Click the link a second time to collapse the list.

  • Assistive Technologies


    Ability Tools - Assistive Technology Network - Ability Tools, formerly the AT Network, is California’s Assistive Technology Act Program. We provide a variety of services for Californians with disabilities of all ages.

    Our services include:
    AT Exchange marketplace
    Device Lending Libraries
    Financial loan program for AT
    Information & Referral
    Reuse program in affiliation with organizational partners

    In addition, we provide in-person and webinar trainings, technical assistance to organizations on AT issues and coordinate the California Assistive Technology Reuse Coalition.


    Center for Assistive Technology Act Data Assistance (CATADA) (Click on this link to access an Assistive Technology Program map and the center for your state.)

    State and Territory Assistive Technology Programs focus on improving the provision of Assistive Technology (AT) through comprehensive, statewide programs that are consumer responsive. The goal of these programs is to increase access to and acquisition of AT. Programs serve people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, in all environments.Assistive technology devices are items, pieces of equipment, or product systems that are used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. AT’s primary purpose areas are education, community living, employment and IT.


    Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA)  RESNA is the premier professional membership organization dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of people with disabilities through increasing access to technology solutions.


    Back to the Top


  • Education


    For information or to file a complaint regarding a public K-12 or a public higher education institution, contact the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) as listed below. 

    For information or to file a complaint regarding a private K-12 or a private higher education institution that does not receive federal funding, contact the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) at 800-514-0301 or go on line to ada.gov/complaint.  Private schools that receive federal funding are covered under OCR.

    Religious educational institutions are exempt from the ADA.​ However, if the religious school receives federal funding, it is covered by ​the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, and therefore you can file a complaint with OCR.


    U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
    OCR’s mission is to ensure equal access to education and to promote educational excellence through vigorous enforcement of civil rights in our nation’s schools.

    For assistance related to civil rights, you may contact the OCR headquarters office in Washington D.C. or the OCR enforcement office serving your state or territory. Contact the enforcement offices if you wish to file a complaint (or use our online complaint form) or if you need technical assistance on a problem or assistance to prevent civil rights problems. Contact the OCR headquarters office if you have a question on national policy, to make a Freedom of Information request for information that is national in scope, or to request publications or other assistance that is not available online.

    National Office:
    Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education

    Washington, DC 
    Telephone: 800-421-3481
    Email: OCR@ed.gov

    OCR office for Arizona
    Denver Office, Denver, CO 
    Telephone: 303-844-5695
    Email: OCR.Denver@ed.gov

    OCR office for California
    San Francisco Office, San Francisco, CA 
    Telephone: 415-486-5555
    Email: ocr.sanfrancisco@ed.gov

    OCR office for Nevada, Hawaii and The Pacific Basin
    Seattle Office, Seattle, WA 
    Telephone: 206-607-1600
    Email: OCR.Seattle@ed.gov


    U.S. Department of Education Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) Website


    Center for Parent Information and Resources
    Families with a child who has a disability often need information about the disability of their child, about early intervention (for babies and toddlers), school services (for school-aged children), therapy, local policies, transportation, and much more. Every state has at least one Parent Training and Information Center (PTI) to offer families just this kind of information. Many states also have a Community Parent Resource Center (CPRC), which offers the same type of support and training to parents of children with disabilities.   You can access the contact information for the PTIs and CPRCs serving families in your state at the following link: http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center/.


    The National Research Center for Parents with Disabilities
    The National Research Center for Parents with Disabilities conducts research and provides training and technical assistance to improve the lives of parents with disabilities and their families.


    Through the Looking Glass
    Through the Looking Glass provides services for families that have children, parents, or grandparents with disability or medical issues.


    Back to the Top


  • State Building Codes and Compliance Inspection Assistance

    The 2010 Standards for accessible design set minimum requirements – both scoping and technical - for newly designed and constructed or altered Title II and Title III entities to be readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities. Some states have adopted additional requirements and/or resources to allow for increased accessibility for individuals with disabilities. That information for states in region 9  is listed below:


    Arizona follows the International Building Code (IBC) and The Amerian National Standards Institute (ANSI)  for accessibility requirements. Individual jurisdictions may have their own requirements. Building codes are adopted locally.



    California Access Compliance Advisory Reference Manual  2016 and 2019: California Building Code (CBC) Chapter 11B - Division of the State Architect Accessibility requirements in Chapter 11B apply to public buildings, public accommodations, commercial buildings and public housing.

    California Building Code Chapter 11A 2016 - Division of the State Architect
    Chapter 11A covers the design and construction of covered multi-family housing.

    California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) 
    HCD provides leadership, policies, and programs to preserve and expand safe and affordable housing opportunities and promote strong communities for all Californians.

    Certified Access Specialist Institute (CASI)
    Resources for California building owner/managers, architects/contractors, and building officials

    Certified Access Specialist Program (CASp)A CASp Is a professional who has passed an examination and has been certified by the State of California to have specialized knowledge of the applicability of state and federal construction-related accessibility standards. A CASp will know which standards will apply to your property based on the age of your facility and its history of improvements. While a licensed design professional such as an architect or engineer can provide you with an access compliance evaluation of your facility, only a CASp can provide services that offer you "qualified defendant" status in a construction-related accessibility lawsuit. 


    Disabled Access Credit Form 8826 - California Franchise Tax Board

    Division of the State Architect (DSA)The Division of the State Architect provides design and construction oversight for K–12 schools, community colleges, and various other state-owned and leased facilities. The division also develops accessibility, structural safety, and historical building codes and standards utilized in various public and private buildings throughout the state of California.
    DSA Headquarters Office and Regional Offices  916-445-8100

    Electric Vehicle Charging Station Accessibility - Division of the State ArchitectThe Division of the State Architect (DSA) developed accessibility standards for electric vehicle charging stations in order to ensure accessibility to electric vehicle charging stations by individuals with disabilities, and to provide guidance to station developers, building owners, and local building departments. The California Building Standards Commission adopted the accessibility standards for electric vehicle charging stations as part of the 2016 California Building Code (California Code of Regulations, Title 24), which became effective on January 1, 2017.

    Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) - California's Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) is the leader in collecting data and disseminating information about California's healthcare infrastructure. OSHPD promotes an equitably distributed healthcare workforce, and publishes valuable information about healthcare outcomes. OSHPD also monitors the construction, renovation, and seismic safety of hospitals and skilled nursing facilities and provides loan insurance to assist the capital needs of California's not-for-profit healthcare facilities.

    Tax Credits and Loans - California Capital Access Program (CalCAP) for Small Businesses 
    Designed to assist small businesses with financing the costs to alter or retrofit existing facilities to comply with the requirements of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

    Toilet Facilities, All Gender: Health and Safety Code Section 118600 - State of California Legislature  2017 -  All single-user toilet facilities in any business establishment, place of public accommodation, or state or local government agency shall be identified as all-gender toilet facilities by signage that complies with Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations, and designated for use by no more than one occupant at a time or for family or assisted use.


    Disability and Communication Access Board - DCAB

    Hawaii follows the International Building Code (IBC). Check with the building department of individual counties (islands) regarding local adoption of the building code. 


    Nevada follows The American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Local jurisdictions could have other restrictions. Please consult your local building department.  


    Back to the Top