- The Justice Department has new guidance about how the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)’s “integration mandate” applies to public employment and day services.
- The integration mandate says state and local governments have to provide services to people with disabilities in the most inclusive setting possible.
- Many people with disabilities are in sheltered workshops and day programs where there is little or no chance to spend time with people without disabilities other than paid staff.
- People with disabilities have the right to work and be with others without disabilities.
- The Justice Department published this guidance to help government agencies know what they should do and help people with disabilities understand what their rights are.
You can find more details in the Justice Department press release