12:30pm - 2:00pm
In self-direction, people receiving long-term services and supports use a personalized budget to meet their needs through a person-centered planning process. Self-direction provides people maximum control over the services they receive. While every state offers some form of self-direction, utilization to date has not been as expansive as advocates imagined.
In 2022, the National Center on Advancing Person-Centered Practices and Systems (NCAPPS) determined that there was a need for a national effort to expand the quality and availability of self-direction as a person-centered option available to a wide variety of potential participants. To achieve this goal, NCAPPS created the Self-Direction Learning Collaborative, which brought together teams and experts from across the country to learn from each other as they worked to improve self-direction in their states during a period of 18 months. This webinar will highlight the successes of two Learning Collaborative teams: Colorado and Ohio.
The webinar will also introduce a new publicly available NCAPPS resource, A Guide for Developing Strategic Objectives to Expand Self-Direction, which offers a road map for public managers and advocacy organizations looking to make self-direction more available and accessible in their own states.
- Valerie J. Bradley, Founder and President Emerita, Human Services Research Institute
- Jessica Corral, Contract Specialist for Participant Directed Programs, Colorado Department of Health Care Policy & Financing
- Emily Harvey, In-Home Supports Services Policy Advisor, Colorado Department of Health Care Policy & Financing
- Oliver Giminaro, Co-Chair, Direct Care Workforce Collaborative in Colorado
- Dana Charlton, Director, Ohio Self Determination Association
- Lisa Comes, Service and Support Advisor, Ohio Association of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities
NCAPPS webinars include ASL interpretation and live captions in English and Spanish. If you require additional accommodations or have any questions about the webinar, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All NCAPPS webinars are recorded, archived, and can be viewed on the NCAPPS Webinars page.